UPDATED: 1/8/2018: Another frozen vegetable product has been recalled amid listeria contamination fears.
Metcash is recalling all stock of Black & Gold Frozen Mixed Vegetables 1kg, which has been available for sale in IGA, Campbells Wholesale and Independent grocery stores in Victoria, Tasmania and New South Wales.
Pregnant women are once again being warned that listeria can cause illness for them and their unborn babies.
It follows the recall of several frozen vegetable products last month, see details below.
Authorities are warning pregnant women to check their freezers for recalled frozen vegetable products that may be contaminated with listeria.
The strain of listeria is particularly dangerous, and the products are being recalled as a precautionary measure.
Acting Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ) CEO Peter May said pregnant women, people whose immune systems are compromised and elderly people, are at a much greater risk from Listeria infection.
“The products affected contain a particularly dangerous strain of Listeria and are being recalled as a precautionary measure to ensure consumers are protected, but particularly vulnerable populations,” Mr May said.
“While many people will follow cooking instructions properly (which should kill Listeria bacteria) we are aware that some people eat frozen vegetables straight from the freezer and there is a risk of some people not cooking produce properly.”
What products are being recalled?
Greenyard Frozen Belgium NV is conducting a recall of the products. The products have been available for sale at Woolworths, ALDI and IGA, Campbells and Independent grocery stores.
- Woolworths – Essentials snap frozen mixed veg 1kg: Carrots, peas, corn, green beans & potatoes- National distribution Best Before 19 MAR 2020 through to 24 APR 2020
- Woolworths – Bell Farms Steam Veggie Carrot Corn and Broccoli 3pk 450g – National distribution, all stock
- IGA – Black & Gold Corn Kernels 500g – National distribution Best Before all dates
- IGA – Black & Gold Mixed Vegetables 1kg: Carrots, peas, beans & corn – National distribution Best Before all dates
- ALDI – Market Fare Peas, Carrots and Super Sweet Corn 1kg – National distribution
- ALDI – Market Fare Corn Kernels 1kg QLD, VIC, WA and select NSW stores Product of Hungary (only)
- ALDI – Market Fare Mixed Vegetables 1kg QLD, NSW, ACT, WA Packed in Belgium from Imported and Belgian Ingredients (only)
- ALDI – Market Fare Quick Steam Carrot Broccoli and Cauliflower 450g – National distribution
- ALDI – Market Fare Quick Steam Carrot Corn and Broccoli 450g – National distribution
- ALDI: Only products with country of origin of Belgium, United Kingdom or Hungary, all other countries not affected.
Anyone who has the product in their freezer is urged to return it to the place of purchase for a full refund or dispose of it. Anyone who has eaten any of the products and is feeling unwell should see their doctor.
Problem: The recall is due to possible microbial (Listeria monocytogenes) contamination.
Food safety hazard: Listeria may cause illness in pregnant women and their unborn babies, the elderly and people with low immune systems.
Country of origin: Belgium/Hungary
What to do: Any consumers concerned about their health should seek medical advice and should return the products to the place of purchase for a full refund. For further information contact: Woolworths 1800 103 515 , ALDI 1800 709 993, Metcash 1300 135 690