The results are in, and Australia’s safest car seats have been revealed after the latest round of testing which checks how well they protect children in a crash, and how easy they are to use.
The car seats were crash tested under the Child Restraint Evaluation Program’s (CREP) new scoring system, which was introduced in 2018 and is more stringent than the previous system. RACV is a partner in the testing program and explains that all of the seats tested by CREP comply with Australian Standards and provide good protection.
“The CREP independent testing is tougher than Australian Standard requirements, to give parents an idea of a car seat’s safety performance beyond the protection required by the standard, and beyond what they may hear from a salesperson.”
Here are Australia’s safest car seat results.
Protection rating results
The car seats were tested in rear and forward-facing modes, as well as booster if applicable. They were given a rating out of five stars. Where a seat is both forward and rear facing, we included the score only for rear facing. For the full results head to RACV.
Five-star rated car seats
- Nuna Pipa Klik (tested with ISOFIX) CF-06-001AU
Four-star rated car seats
- Mother’s Choice (Dawn, Trinity) GME 2013 (4.8 stars)
- Joie Trillo Series C1220GAMND600 (4.7 stars)
- Safe-N-Sound Kid Guard PRO Series BS4900A-020130 (4.7 stars)
- Infa-Secure (Odyssey II, Rally II, Rover) CS7113 (4.7 stars)
- Babylove Ezy Fit II Series BL4200/A/2013 OR Hipod Boston Pro HP4200/A/2013 (4.6 stars)
- Maxi-Cosi Rodi AP MCR2013 (4.4 stars)
- Babylove Ezy Combo II OR Taurus II Series BL90B/2013 (4.2 stars)
- Safe-N-Sound Graphene (tested with seatbelt) BS7300S-i20133 (4.1 stars)
Three-star rated car seats
- Safe-N-Sound Brava (tested with ISOFIX) BS7300E-i20133 (3.9 stars)
- Safe-N-Sound Brava (tested with seatbelt) BS7300E-i20133 (3.8 stars)
- Safe-N-Sound Graphene (tested with ISOFIX) BS7300S – i20133 (3.8 stars)
- Babylove Ezy Switch EP BL0072E-020133 (3.7 stars)
- Hipod Kansas JS72/E/2013 (3.7 stars)
- Joie I-Gemm (tested with seatbelt) I1404AAPAV600 (3.7 stars)
- Mountain Buggy Protect (tested with seatbelt) MBCS02 (3.5 stars)
- Safety 1st Solo GMBE 2013 (3.4 stars)
- Infa-Secure (Stowaway, Versatile, Traveller, Getaway, Foldaway) CS6013 (3.3 stars)
- Steelcraft Baby Capsule 60/A/2013/1 (3.1 stars)
Two-star rated car seats
- Safe-N-Sound Novus BS0008A-020133 (2.9 stars)
- Infa-Secure Luxi II Treo CS4313 (2.9 stars)
One-star rated car seat
- Maxi-Cosi Luna KXGA2013 (1.9 stars)
Read next …
Want to know what else to look for when choosing your baby’s car seat? Have a read of our other articles about choosing a safe car seat.